Introduce your child to water in a playful and secure environment.
In the infant program, a parent or carer supports the baby or toddler in the pool. This helps build confidence and supports the child's learning process.
Children will learn to:
- be familiar with having water over their face and head
- control their breath and blow bubbles
- float, paddle and propel themselves.
Our swimming teachers
Our teachers hold nationally accredited swimming teacher and water safety certificates, and specialised qualifications for teaching infants. They have current CPR and first aid certificates, and have training in safeguarding children and young people.
Swimming lessons information
Please select lesson type *
Classes are 30 minutes and offered six days a week.
The YMCA swimming lesson programs operates 48 weeks of the year. The continuous program is designed to support faster skill acquisition without the stop-start of term breaks.
48 program weeks
Mid January - mid December 4 non-program weeks
Christmas, New Year and summer holiday period
To enquire please fill out an enquiry form on this page or come into the centre and speak to one of our customer service officers, or call us on 1300 760 379 to determine the right level for your child’s lessons. We also offer free, no obligation swimming assessments to determine which class is right for you.
For more information, or to register your interest in swimming lessons, fill in the our enquiry form and one of our friendly customer service team will be in touch.
Fees are paid fortnightly by direct debit. No lock-in contracts. 14 days written notice are required to cancel.
Fee per lesson Fortnightly direct debit Standard rate $14.60 $29.20
Linked membership rateSwimming lessons linked to a family member with a centre membership
Fees effective 1 July 2019 - 30 June 2020. All centre fees and charges undergo an annual pricing review
Program and safety requirements
Infant and preschool lessons
- Babies must be at least six months old
- Children in nappies must wear aqua nappies that are tight fitting around the thighs (you can buy them in centre)
- Parents should bring bathers during the first few lessons, in case the child gets upset and needs support in the water
All child lessons
- Bring bathers, towel, goggles (recommended, but not required) and dry clothes
- Come to the edge of the pool at the start of the lesson and directly hand over your child to the teacher
- Watch the lesson (preschool classes)
- Stay as close as possible to the lesson (for example, by sitting in the chairs around the pool)
- Come to the edge of the pool at the end of the lesson and collect your child
- Photos are only allowed in the pool area with prior arrangement (never in the change room area). See our FAQs page for more information.
To provide a safe environment for your child, parents/carers must stay in the pool with infants for the whole lesson.
Swimming lessons members receive:
- One 30 minute swimming lesson per week
- Four make-up lessons per year
- Unlimited pool access to Benalla Aquatic Centre's aquatic facilities outside of lesson times
Parents of children will receive:
- Parent-teacher feedback week (conducted six monthly)
- SwimDesk parent portal to allow you to track your child’s achievements as they progress through the swim program.