In the preschool swimming program, children learn to become more independent in the water and begin to develop important water survival skills.
Children will learn skills in:
- body orientation
- propulsion and submersion
- basic stroke development
- personal and water safety.
Our swimming teachers
Our teachers hold nationally accredited swimming teacher and water safety certificates. They have current CPR and first aid certificates, and have training in safeguarding children and young people.
Teachers assess and progress children through the program levels, based on their individual ability.
Swimming lesson information
Classes are 30 minutes and offered six days a week.
The YMCA swimming lesson programs operates 48 weeks of the year. The continuous program is designed to support faster skill acquisition without the stop-start of term breaks.
48 program weeks
Mid January - mid December 4 non-program weeks
Christmas, New Year and summer holiday period
To enquire please fill out an enquiry form on this page or come into the centre and speak to one of our customer service officers, or contact us to determine the right level for your child’s lessons. We also offer free, no obligation swimming assessments to determine which class is right for you.
For more information, or to register your interest in swimming lessons, fill in the our enquiry form and one of our friendly customer service team will be in touch.
Fees are paid fortnightly by direct debit. No lock-in contracts. 14 days written notice are required to cancel.
Fee per lesson Fortnightly direct debit Standard rate $14.80 $29.60
Fees effective 1 July 2021 - 30 June 2022. All centre fees and charges undergo an annual pricing review
Program and safety requirements
Infant and preschool lessons
- Babies must be at least six months old
- Children in nappies must wear aqua nappies that are tight fitting around the thighs (you can buy them in centre)
- Parents should bring bathers during the first few lessons, in case the child gets upset and needs support in the water
All child lessons
- Bring bathers, towel, goggles (recommended, but not required) and dry clothes
- Come to the edge of the pool at the start of the lesson and directly hand over your child to the teacher
- Watch the lesson (preschool classes)
- Stay as close as possible to the lesson (for example, by sitting in the chairs around the pool)
- Come to the edge of the pool at the end of the lesson and collect your child
- Photos are only allowed in the pool area with prior arrangement (never in the change room area). See our FAQs page for more information.
To provide a safe environment for your child, parents/carers must stay in the pool with infants for the whole lesson.
Swimming lessons members receive:
- one 30 minute swimming lesson per week
- four make-up lessons per year
- unlimited pool access to Benalla Aquatic Centre's aquatic facilities outside of lesson times
Parents of children will receive:
- parent-teacher feedback week (conducted six monthly)
- SwimDesk parent portal to allow you to track your child’s achievements as they progress through the swim program.